Wednesday, March 13, 2002

LETTER TO A STRANGER (To Martinez)

Ms. Jutta Martinez
Queen Creek, AZ 85242
March 12, 2002

Dear Ms. Martinez,

The book, "84, Charing Cross Road" by Helene Hanff, has arrived today. I would like to thank you for the timely delivery and the careful wrapping. Your using of the paperboard instead of the regular manila envelope reminds me my 90-year-old grandpa. As long as I could remember, he never buys a brand new envelope. He always recycles the used ones by turning them inside out and re-seal them again when mailing.

As for the "84, Charing Cross Road", the movie version first caught my attention nearly 10 years ago; and later I accidentally found a set of tapes recorded the reading of the book by some theater actor and actress. While I was desperate to have the original writing, I gave up buying a new edition and rather looking for the secondhand. That's how I cross the Half.com and found yours, a great De luxe 1975 edition. Been writing letters all my life as well, this book means a lot to me. It's so grateful that you keep this book in a good shape; I'll do the same.

Sincerely,
Yiling Liu

***************************
POSTSCRIPT:

I bought "84, Charing Cross Road" through HALF.COM. It is 1975 De Luxe Gift Edition where the blue hard cover has HH marked in gold, which was Helene Hanff's abbreviation when she used in writing letters. This used book was first given to a mother by her daughter Jif as a new year gift in 1981.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home